Have you been thinking about getting tracking devices for seniors? You might just be on the right track to properly keeping them safe.
Tracking or monitoring devices can help enhance the way people care for senior citizens. This is because caring for the elderly can be demanding. More often than not, you’re going to need the help of technology to make sure that you can keep them safe and away from harm. So what tracking devices should you get for the elderly? Here are the things you need to know.
Is there a tracking device for seniors?
There are various tracking devices for seniors made possible by the technology we have today. Though location tracking is most common, there are also other tracking devices that will help in caring for the elderly. These devices will ensure their safety, improve their quality of life, and provide some peace of mind for their families.
Here are some samples of tracking devices for seniors:
- Location tracking device - Location tracking devices are the most popular when it comes to tracking devices for the elderly. With location tracking, caregivers and health aides will be able to track the whereabouts of seniors. Memory can decline as people age, and seniors might have trouble remembering places, especially at new or unfamiliar locations. A location tracking device can be a preventive measure to ensure that they don’t get lost or go missing. This is also a great solution for seniors with cognitive disabilities, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and other disorders that might affect brain function or memory.
- Activity trackers or fitness trackers - Activity trackers or fitness trackers come in the form of wearable technology or smartphones. These kinds of trackers can track and monitor the activity of the wearer, providing information about their body and vital signs. For example, a fitness tracker can keep track of the steps taken by seniors for the day. It can also record calories burned or distances run. Apart from these, vital signs such as heart rate and temperature can also be recorded. Some activity trackers with advanced technology can also record and monitor sleep quality, sleep patterns, and brain activity. These types of tracking devices are beneficial for the health of the elderly.
- Medical alert systems or PERS - Medical alert systems or Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS) are also examples of tracking devices for seniors. This is because PERS devices send out alerts in case the wearer has fallen, tripped, or gotten into an accident. The device can connect the wearer to the necessary help, such as family, friends, or a 911 emergency. This kind of tracking device is beneficial for seniors with fragile bodies, those who live alone, those who are prone to heart attacks, and even those who experience seizures.
How do tracking devices for seniors work?
Using tracking devices for seniors is easy and straightforward. There might be some differences depending on the tracking device and its purpose, but the gist of it is all the same.
The tracking device is attached to seniors, or seniors will wear the device on their person. After it is activated, it can then be connected to a mobile device or a mobile application where their loved ones, caregivers, or health aides can track them.
Most of these tracking devices are powered by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity. This means they are easy to install and use on a daily basis. People and families can now track the whereabouts or activities of their elderly loved ones with the app. Seniors are safer, more cared for, and have a bit more freedom with their daily activities.
What are wearable tracking devices for seniors with dementia?
For seniors with dementia, it’s best to get them a location-tracking device. Dementia affects patients and their ability to think, remember details, and make decisions regarding everyday activities.
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia. In the United States, an estimated 6.7 million Americans age 65 and older are living with Alzheimer's in 2023. People with dementia like Alzheimer’s typically have problems with:
- Reasoning, judgment, and problem solving
- Visual perception beyond typical age-related changes in vision
This is why location tracking devices are ideal solutions and safety precautions for seniors living with dementia. They can get lost in the neighborhood or the mall; they can get confused with directions; they can forget their current location; they can get frustrated when visiting a new place. A tracking device can end all of these worries and prevent emergencies.
Can you monitor the elderly remotely with a tracking device?
A tracking device can help families or caregivers track elderly loved ones remotely. This is because most location-tracking devices are connected to a mobile app.
This mobile app can get information from the tracking device and deliver the information through a dashboard or map. It should be able to give their real-time location, as well as information on where the wearer has been previously. People will be able to track their elderly loved ones no matter where they are: in the house, at the mall, in the park, or more.
What is the best tracking device for seniors?
The best tracking devices for seniors are those that are fully equipped with the necessary features you need to provide the right care. From location tracking to emergency alerts, the best tracking device should be able to give families and caregivers peace of mind and security.
SOLUM G-LoRa is a reliable tracking device for the elderly—this is because it uses LoRa® network technology to transmit location data. Using this kind of network technology means covering a larger area while using less battery power. With its wider communication range and better battery, SOLUM G-LoRa is a bit more of an efficient solution than traditional GPS tracking devices.
Here are other features of SOLUM G-LoRa as tracking devices for seniors:
- Rechargeable battery
- Android and iOS-friendly tracking app
- Emergency call button and distress calls
- Up to three Safe Zones
- Location history within the past 10 days
SOLUM G-LoRa will make it easy to track and care for elderly loved ones. Not only is it a location-tracking device that is able to monitor and provide insights into where seniors are. It also acts as a reliable emergency alert system, since it has an SOS button that will send alerts to loved ones.
Apart from an SOS button, another significant feature of the SOLUM G-LoRa is the Safe Zones. Users will be able to establish up to three Safe Zones in the app. Creating these Safe Zones means, users will get notified if a senior wearing a SOLUM G-LoRa enters or leaves such a zone. Families or caregivers will know that their elderly loved ones are safe and secure and that they are in a familiar place.
Getting tracking devices for seniors is essential nowadays. And with a reliable and modern tracking device, you’ll be able to keep your elderly loved ones safe.